DENTAL IMPLANTS: The Mystery, the Joy and the Excitement
Dental implants are becoming increasingly popular as technologies evolve and more and more people are discovering that they look and perform like real teeth.
So … what are dental implants? How long do they take to install? What is the procedure? How much do they cost? How long do they last?
We know you have questions, and that’s why Dr. Tidwell offers free consultations on implants. (He always has and he always will.) Included with your complimentary session with Dr. Tidwell is a state-of-the-art, 3-dimensional “cone beam” x-ray for the best possible diagnostics. And you have absolutely no obligation to move forward with the procedure.
In the meantime, here are some important insights into dental implants:
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are new teeth (typically made of porcelain or gold) supported by surgical pegs placed in your jawbone. Implants look and function like natural teeth, giving you the best possible appearance, comfort, convenience and confidence.
How Long Do Implants Take to Install?
From start to finish, implants take roughly six months to install, though some implants require a much shorter time. If you choose to proceed with implants, Dr. Tidwell will establish an Implant Treatment Plan specifically for you, considering your goals, needs, and the unique structure of your mouth.
What is the Implant Procedure?
There are three components of an implant, each placed in its proper sequence:
1. The Implant: A titanium post is inserted directly into your jaw, which permanently fuses with the bone. Once placed, it takes approximately 3-4 months to heal in a natural process called osseointegration. (Dr. Tidwell calls this period of time “the mystery, the joy and the excitement” of the dental implant process.) Surprisingly, this procedure takes a very short amount of time, is often completely painless, and post-operative recovery time is extremely fast.
2. The Abutment: Another titanium piece (illustrated in green, right) connects the implant in the jaw to the crown on the surface. Both the abutment and crown are typically placed at the same time, once the implant is fused to the jaw.
3. The Crown: A porcelain (or gold) tooth is attached to the abutment. The crown is the only part of the implant you’ll see. It is the workhorse of the implant, doing all the chewing (and smiling).
How Much Do Implants Cost?
There are many variables that will contribute to the cost of your implant/s. You are unique and so will you implants be. Fortunately, our fee structure depends on the projected ease or difficulty of the procedure. Other dentists and oral surgeons typically charge an (often prohibitive) “one-size-fits-all” flat fee. Our fee structure opens the door to people who otherwise haven’t been able to afford dental implants.
Also, your implant treatment will be entirely in Dr. Tidwell’s care. He won't refer aspects of your implants to an oral surgeon or periodontist to complete. His comprehensive expertise saves you time and money.
Only with a personal consultation (at no charge) can you be quoted an accurate cost for dental implants suitable for you. All associated costs will be provided to you and explained in detail before you make your decision whether or not to proceed.
How Long Do Implants Last?
Dental implants, maintained properly, can last a very, very, very long time. With proper dental hygiene – and dental checkups twice annually – implants can last a lifetime. Factors that often contribute to implant failure include:
· Poor health prior to the implants
· Periodontal disease
· Neglect (not having the implants adjusted on a regular basis)
Our Dental Implant Credentials
Dr. Tidwell has earned the coveted status of Diplomate in the International Congress of Oral Implantologists (ICOI). His lead surgical staff assisting with implant procedures has also received the highest possible accreditation for surgical assistance from the ICOI. Together, they are among the finest dental implantology teams in the business, bar none.
So great is their learning, Dr. Tidwell and his staff have been conducting monthly Implant Study Clubs (for over a decade) for interested colleagues. What all this means to you is that you will receive the highest possible standard of expertise and care when receiving your implant treatment at Tidwell Dental.
Schedule your complimentary consultation with Dr. Tidwell here or call or text 503-359- 5481 (with no obligation for services).
Dr. Tidwell has been awarded the prestigious status of Diplomate in the
International Congress of Oral Implantologists
acknowledging him as one of the most skilled dental implant experts in the world.